Texas Cemeteries Association

  • Home
  • Frequently Asked Questions

I would like to establish a Family Cemetery on my property.  How do I do that?

Many people in the State of Texas are interested in establishing a family cemetery on their private property.  Click here for information on establishing a family cemetery.

I’m having an issue with a cemetery or crematory.  How do I file a complaint?

I have a relative buried in a cemetery that is in deteriorating condition.  Is there anything I can do?

Can I bury on my own property?

Yes. Contact your local health department for more information.

Does perpetual care cover markers?

No, in Texas the perpetual care fee only covers the cemetery grounds and mausoleums. Markers are not covered. Cemeteries frequently have a separate care fund for markers but it is not required by statute or regulated by the Department of Banking.

  Can I cancel a cemetery contract?

The statutes do not provide for mandatory cancellation provisions. In most instances, the cemetery will not allow the purchaser to cancel a contract and thus no refund options are available.

Are the prices and fees cemeteries charge regulated by the Texas Banking Department?

No, there is no price regulation in the cemetery industry.

Do I have to purchase an outer burial container?

If the cemetery’s rules and regulations require the use of an outer burial container you must have one for burial. It is a decision made by the individual cemetery.

What is a lawn crypt?

A lawn crypt is a subsurface burial container installed in multiple units that has a system for drainage and moisture control. Lawn crypts may only be sold in dedicated lawn crypt gardens.

Are perpetual care cemeteries required to build a mausoleum within a specific time period?

Yes, a perpetual care cemetery must begin construction of a mausoleum on or before a date that is 48 months after the date of the first pre-developed sale and shall complete construction on or before a date that is 60 months after the date of the first pre-developed sale. [Texas Health & Safety Code §711.061 et seq.]

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software